WordPress 2.7 and the New Dashboard

WordPress 2.7 is slated to be released very soon and I’ve started playing around with the beta release.  And I’ve begun producing some updated videos for wpscreencasts.com

The video below provides a quick intro to the new dashboard coming in WordPress 2.7.  The changes to the dashboard are dramatic and will require adjustments from even the most experienced WordPress users.  I will say that the automatic upgrade feature in the beta works smoothly.  Keeping WordPress sites up to date should be easier than ever.

There’s a number of other items coming with version 2.7 as well, including:

Upgrades and installs over secure FTP
Add media without creating post
Quick Edit inline editing
Shortcuts menu
Comment reply from admin
XMLRPC Comments API
Revised Dashboard
Comment threading and paging
API additions
Navigation expand/collapse in two directions
Bulk editing of posts
HTTPOnly Cookies
Automatic upgrade
Screen Options to hide/show modules/columns on screens
Plugin browser/installer
Inline PHPdoc documentation
QuickPress
New design/layout
Drag and drop on dashboard and post screen
Sticky posts

This website uses IntenseDebate comments, but they are not currently loaded because either your browser doesn't support JavaScript, or they didn't load fast enough.

8 Comments

1. Posted November 9, 2008 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Which of the new features are you most enjoying?

2. Posted November 10, 2008 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Other than the automatic upgrade (which made installing a beta release much more tolerable), the ability to remove some widgets from the dashboard is pretty cool.

I think QuickPress has some potential for being integrated into my post brainstorming workflow.

3. Karen Cardoza
    Posted December 7, 2008 at 3:47 am | Permalink

Any idea if the Podpress plug-in will work. I never even upgraded to the latest version because it wasn't compatible. Thanks!

4. Posted December 7, 2008 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Karen,

From what I could find in the forums, looks like some people got Podpress to works with 2.7 with a quick hack. Looks like the same hack for 2.6 will work for 2.7.

5. Posted December 7, 2008 at 10:32 am | Permalink

From what I could find in the forums, some people got Podpress to work in 2.7 with a quick hack. Looks like the same hack for 2.6 will work for 2.7.

6. Posted February 18, 2009 at 2:25 am | Permalink

I'm interested in configuring how the dashboard will appear to my subscribers based on level. Any idea if there is a way to do this in 2.7?

7. Posted October 29, 2009 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I know the old iphone doesnt. But someone told me the new iphone 3g s responds to fingernail touches rather than finger tips. Thank you.

________________
    unlock iphone 3g

8. Posted February 25, 2011 at 4:24 am | Permalink

Have you done the upgrade lately? How did you do it? please enlighten me up on this. Thank you so much!