Building an Intelligence Dashboard: Add some RSS Feeds to Netvibes

This is part 1 in a series of building an intelligence dashboard using NetVibes.

What’s an intelligence dashboard?

An intelligence dashboard helps you keep your pulse on…well, there’s a lot of things you can keep your pulse on.  In this series, we’re going to build an intelligence dashboard to assist with monitoring Tesla Motors in various online communities and the web, in general.  There are tons of tools at your disposal to assist with tracking who is talking and writing about Tesla Motors (or another company or keyword).  Some of those tools are http://search.twitter.com (formerly Summize), Google Blog Alerts, Flickr tag search, and Technorati.  An intelligence dashboard will help bring all those sources into a single view.  So instead of having to regularly visit a number of sources, the dashboard will provide one destination that allows you to monitor a firehose of information from all across the web.

Why NetVibes?

NetVibes is a web-based swiss-army knife in many ways.  It is extremely similar to MyYahoo! or iGoogle start pages, but with a large ecoystem of widgets that extend its power.  Certainly, there are many solutions for customizable start pages and power dashboards out there, but I’m using NetFlix for its ease of customization and ability to integrate different types of content.

I will say that iGoogle is looking more and more promising recently and it might be a tool worth checking out for these purposes.

Let’s get started

First things, first If you don’t have a NetVibes account, head over there and set one up now.

Today, we’re going to add RSS feeds to help monitor Tesla Motors in Twitter, Google Blog Search, and Technorati.  You can watch the video below to follow the steps we take to add RSS feeds of search results from each source into our dashboard.

Basically, the steps to take are:

1. Visit http://www.google.com/blogsearch, search for “Tesla Motors”, copy the link location of the RSS feed for the search results, and add that URL to your dashboard in NetVibes by selecting “Add Content”, then “Add a Feed
  2. Do the same with http://search.twitter.com .  Look for the “Feed for this Query” icon on the search results page to grab the link location.
  3. And again at http://www.technorati.com .   The URL of the feed can be found behind the icon labeled “Subscribe

Once you’ve done that, you now  have a dashboard with 3 different sources for monitoring in a single view.  Pretty easy, huh?  Tomorrow, we’ll add some rich media sources to the dashboard.

Good old handy RSS

As you’ll quickly see, we’re going to use a lot of RSS feeds in this process.  I’m sure you’re pretty familiar with RSS, but If you aren’t check out this video by CommonCraft.

image

This website uses IntenseDebate comments, but they are not currently loaded because either your browser doesn't support JavaScript, or they didn't load fast enough.

11 Comments

1. Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Hey J.J.! I love using NetVibes as my personal intelligence dashboard, and I’ve been using it for several months now. I found your post while searching for Dashboards in Google Blog Search.

I love that NetVibes makes it easy to track information about any topic you want to track. I especially use it to monitor mentions of my own online presences.

Looking forward to checking back!

2. Posted June 11, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Good Morning Good Folks

I’ve been passive on this forum for a while now, so here goes my first post! a great site I’ve found for Wallpapers etc. is Esnips.com I’ve found everything on my list…

let me know what you think!, Hope this helps ;-)

Best of Luck

3. Posted June 28, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

What is i2carts.com
    Intelligent integrated shopping cart is extremely easy, copy-paste shopping cart, which helps you sell digital products and tagible products.

Check the i2carts.com Features

What does i2carts.com do?
    i2cart provides shopping cart and buy now buttons to let you sell downloads and tangible goods on your website, eBay, MySpace, Google Base, CraigsList and other websites using PayPal, Google Checkout,ClickBank and 2CheckOut.

What can you sell?
    You can sell anything you want ie.You can sell ebooks, sell mp3 tracks and albums, sell software, icons, fonts, artwork, phone cards, event tickets, cds, posters, books, t-shirts and almost everything else you want to sell.

How does it work?
    With i2carts shoppping cart , you can Store and deliver your files and code automatically. Buyers get secure product download immediately after a successful payment.Instant and secure product delivery.Store your files securely on our server. You can choose to redirect buyer to your own site after sale.Send out free expirable download links.

How much just it cost ?
    I2carts offers 7 day free trial, and subscription start at just $5 per month, i2carts does not have any transaction limit, no bandwidth limit, no setup fee and no transaction fee.

4. HamStemoexpem
    Posted September 2, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Can u really gain six pack abs frum using nitric oxide?

this site say you will : Nitric Oxide BodyBuilding

apparently there is free trials?

5. Posted September 16, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

carrie byron nude
    vombat ls magazine
    https www vtunnel com myspace a
    colt brennan shirtless a
    rayful edmond drug lord a
    my dish redlobster crew a
    the shield season 7 a
    sissy nobby lyrics a
    free fta software a
    eli manning girlfriend
    actress lisa raye wedding photos a
    sweet tomatoes coupons a
    mossy oak myspace layouts a
    market basket supermarket lee nh a
    african american braid designs
    rebleflag layouts for myspace
    marshall airplane crash
    vangalder bus co rockford il a
    ruger mini 14 mags factory
    kapas de lasierra a

6. Posted September 25, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Разные регистраторы и хостинги предлагают регистрацию доменов в зонах RU и SU за 600 рублей. И только наши клиенты имеют возможность купить много хороших доменов всего за 99 и 450 рублей! После регистрации Вы сможете привязать зарегистрированный домен к абсолютно любому хостингу при помощи удобной панели управления! DNS сервера у нас абсолютно бесплатны. Не упустите такую возможность – зарегистрируйтесь и Вы сможете регистрировать домены и покупать vip хостинг.

7. Alfred Nordman
    Posted October 27, 2009 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Good Morning J.J.

you should try:

I think it will surprise you.

8. KahPheNetaf
    Posted November 9, 2009 at 5:21 am | Permalink

Hello.
    My PC worked slowly, many errors. Help me, please to fix buggs on my computer.
    My operation system is Windows XP.
    Thanks,
    KahPheNetaf

9. Spatlybaita
    Posted December 17, 2009 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Your welcome everyone,
    My computer worked not correctly, too much errors. Please, help me to fix buggs on my computer.
    I used Windows XP.
    Thx,
    Spatlybaita

10. Clissaway
    Posted January 3, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Inviting amateur fuck, blowjob and cum swallow.
    Ex- geezer fucked a ebriate girl. I fucked his sister.
    I always wanted to fuck my neighbours MOM.
    My GFs sister fucks raise than GF is.
    Educator wanked my cock in front of class.

11. Posted March 3, 2011 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Zenithink ZT-180 zenithink zt-180 ePad New Version 10 Inch MID Android 2.1 WIFI 720P Gravity Sensor 1GHz CPU RJ45 Adapter Silver which is enough to you to surf the internet and play the simple game. And the storage capacity is 2GB, enough to store your files and applications and so on. What’s more, also you can go online via Wi-Fi to download more media to enjoy, browse your favorite websites, send Email to your friend and also via QQ or MSN to chat with others. And WiFi is available to support high speed wireless network service. The mini size and lightweight Epad tablet laptop is very convenient to carry.zenithink zt-180 zenithink zt180 zenithink tablet zenithink zt-180 epad zt-180 tablet.
    Buy directly from Sourcinggate China, we will provide you the wholesale discount and cheap wholesale price.
    1-3 months warranty was provided by Sourcinggate.

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] the previous post, I started things by adding some basic monitoring feeds from Google Blog Search, Twitter, and Technorati to the NetVibes intelligence dashboard I’m building to monitor Tesla Motors around the web. The [...]

2. [...] going to spend a little bit of times on Yahoo! Pipes before going forward.  As you’ve seen so far, we’ve been doing a lot with RSS in building the intelligence dashboard on NetVibes.  [...]