I think I picked the wrong blog commenting system

When Automattic purchased IntenseDebate, I decided to begin adopting that commenting system on various blogs I administer.  I even recommended it to some clients.  Because I utilize WordPress on my sites, my thinking was that Automattic’s purchase of IntenseDebate meant integration with WordPress would be superior in the long run.

While that still may be the case long-term, Disqus is stretching its lead in commenting system features.  In December, they integrated Facebook Connect logins.  IntenseDebate has yet to even address that as far as I know.  And most recently, Disqus integrated Friendfeed comments related to a particular blog post.

It may be time to admit a previous error in judgement and switch to Disqus.

This website uses IntenseDebate comments, but they are not currently loaded because either your browser doesn't support JavaScript, or they didn't load fast enough.

6 Comments

1. Posted January 27, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I think Disqus was has been working very hard lately. Though, I have yet to see anything new from IntenseDebate since they were purchased by Automattic. Maybe they have some stuff hidden up their sleeve. But there have been a lot of people who have either switched to Disqus or just gone back to regular WordPress comments until they get things straightened out.

I also have found the Disqus group extremely helpful. Especially on Twitter.

2. Posted January 29, 2009 at 2:20 am | Permalink

Hey John. Michael here from IntenseDebate. We've got plenty up our sleeves, so don't count us out just yet!

In June, 2008 we rolled out our FriendFeed integration, so you can pull comments made in FriendFeed back to your blog. You can also plug your IntenseDebate comments into FriendFeed as well.

We're open minded about Facebook Connect but it isn't on our list right now. There's plenty to get excited about! Stay tuned…

3. Posted January 29, 2009 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I could not believe my eyes! What is on your list if not Facebook integration??? Is it a policy or simple … negligence??

4. Posted January 29, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Hi Michael,

That's wonderful. I have no interest in counting you guys out. Actually, quite the opposite. My belief is that competition is healthy and needed. It's nice to see the FriendFeed Integration, but I think the more important things to get set up would be customization of CSS, FaceBook Connect, OpenID, and maybe Google's OpenSocial.

Keeping in mind that, I chose Disqus because I heard it from Louis Gray on FriendFeed. And I had not heard about IntenseDebate until Matt Mullenweg told us of the Automattic acquisition at a WordCamp.

5. Posted January 29, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Michael,
    Thanks for chiming in here. And I stand corrected regarding IntenseDebate and FriendFeed integration.

But like others, I do think that integration with things like Facebook Connect should be higher on your list. I've got to say that I'm definitely curious to hear what might be on that list…whats keeping FB Connect off of it? After 2 weeks of having it enabled, TechCrunch reported that 20% of all comments left there are done so via FB Connect. That's a pretty significant number – http://tinyurl.com/5vgn5f

6. Posted January 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Disqus for the win? Wait didnt I want that in the first place?